Tuesday, July 08, 2008

More car repair

Not only do I drive, but so does She Who Must Be Obeyed. Her 1998 Chevy Venture has a passenger side power sliding door. That door (hereafter known as the PSD) stopped sliding. I vaguely recalled something about the radio fuse, and when I called the mechanic he told me it would cost more to have him look it up than it was worth to get it sliding again.

Can't say I disagree with that.

But my time is cheap, and with a little research, I came up with this:

Perform this procedure in order to re-initialize the PSD:

1. Set the PSD on/off switch in the overhead console to the OFF position
2. Manually open the PSD completely
3. Manually close and latch the PSD
4. Remove the radio fuse - this is the fuse under the hood, in the Fuse Relay Panel on the passenger side of the engine. I tried the one just inside the passenger front door - no joy there.
5. Wait 30 seconds
6. Reinstall the radio fuse
7. Wait 10 seconds
8. Set the PSD on/off switch in the overhead console to the ON position
9. Press, then release either PSD open/close switch (on the overhead console or the one on the 'B' pillar) in order to completely open the PSD
10. Wait 5 seconds
11. Press, then release either PSD open/close switch (on the overhead console or the one on the 'B' pillar) to allow the PSD to close completely
12. Wait 5 seconds
13. Repeat steps 8 through 11 and re-check for proper PSD operation


That worked! If someone else is reading this, do like I did and put some white lithium grease on the door tracks (not too much; just a thin layer is plenty! Too much and you'll attract dirt which will clog it up.)

No comments: